The main function of this position is to write news briefs. These stories maybe feature length and short news pieces, which generally run between 500 and 2,000 words, from inception to publication. Written stories may run as LIGHT + LIFE Publications or FM World Missions feature news, web exclusives and micro-blogs. Brief stories will be assigned for research and follow-up. Writer may pitch his or her own story ideas, which the supervisors approve or reject. As the article is written, the lead editor may help shape the article, providing a different direction, if needed, or locating additional sources to contact. This is a fast-paced and research-based position which will require high output and cultural/audience sensitivity.
- Organizes material and writes story conforming to specified length, style, and format requirements.
- Perform research on different stories related to national and global church events
- Analyze findings by breaking down data to tell a compelling story
- Uncover newsworthy stories, tweets and blog posts
- Interview key people (witnesses, sources, etc.)
- Write content with audience and organization’s needs in mind
- Establish contacts and sources to use in future research
- Contribute to content idea generation for publication
- Stay up-to-date with domestic and global church affairs
- Proven work experience as a staff writer or reporter
- Demonstrable portfolio of articles
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Ability to follow strict deadlines and fact-check information
- Excellent observation and note-taking skills in electronic form
- Knowledge of impactful headline delivery
- Degree in journalism, communications or relevant field
QUALIFICATIONS AND DEMONSTRATED ABILITIES/SKILLS
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and take extreme initiative.
- Handle multiple priorities simultaneously in fast-paced, deadline-focused environment.
- Creative, positive, service-oriented attitude and willingness to learn and contribute.
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to interpret minimal instructions and to work independently with minimal direction or supervision.
- Understands and communicates denominational values, vision and priorities.
- A Free Methodist background is helpful but not required.
Interested individuals should submit an online application at: https://hr.fmcusa.org/employment-application including a resume and statement of faith.
[symple_button url=”https://hr.fmcusa.org/employment-application” color=”black” button_target=”_self”]Click Here to Apply[/symple_button]