Housing Allowance

This content has been archived. It may no longer be relevant

Participants who are ministers may declare their retirement benefits as a housing allowance based on Internal Revenue Service regulations. By action of the Benefits Committee each fall, all eligible ministers drawing a pension benefit may designate up to 100% of their benefit amount as a housing allowance (this is done using an official form, which must be submitted to the Human Resources office, and is located at https://hr.fmcusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Housing_Allowance_Dec.pdf ).

A declaration form will be sent with the participant’s retirement information packet. It is the minister’s responsibility to determine the appropriate amount of their housing allowance.

As a retiree who is drawing a benefit, a new form will only need to be submitted if the housing amount changes. Otherwise, whatever housing form is on file will still apply to your benefit each year.