First Free Methodist Church seeks to hire a full-time person to work with teens and families in our neighborhoods. This position is offered in a church within the city of Seattle and across the street from Seattle Pacific University. The person will need to work well with a variety of people and age groups to ensure our ministry to middle and high school students and their families is a vital part of our ongoing mission to Love people, connect them to Jesus, and serve the world. This primary goal of this position is to connect youth to Jesus.
Reporting: This position reports to the lead pastor and is a part of the pastoral team. Attends weekly staff, pastoral, and communications meetings.
• Oversee and coordinate youth discipleship for middle school and high school age youth.
• Lead gatherings for youth that currently are offered on Wednesday evenings, Sunday mornings and Sunday evenings.
• Build relationships with youth within and outside of the church to help them in their relationship with God.
• Plan and offer retreats, outings and events for youth to grow in their faith in Jesus Christ. This includes booking, financial administration, transportation, recruiting volunteers, and promotion.
• Recruit and train volunteers/interns to help facilitate ministry to youth at FFMC. Ensure that they are equipped, empowered and appreciated.
• Support youth engagement in worship and other ministries of the church.
• Be available for pastoral support in consultation with lead pastor. This may include preaching, pastoral care, worship leadership, and other pastoral duties.
• Coordinate rites of passage for youth such as professions of faith, baptism, membership, integration into church community, etc.
• Offer pastoral support to youth and families in crisis.
• Offer support and coordination to children and family ministries, and NQACC as needed.
• Envision and maintain a facility environment that is inviting to youth.
• Oversee background checks and other risk management issues in youth ministry.
Skills and requirements:
Ability to relate well across generations and especially with youth.
Organizational and interpersonal skills are essential
Basic understanding of Microsoft office programs
Willing to pass two background checks for church and NQACC
Personal strengths needed:
3 or more years’ experience working with youth.
Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in youth related area preferred
Mature and professional, able to exhibit sound judgment
Familiarity with church office environment and working with a staff team.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Includes annual salary with health and retirement benefits. Optional childcare discount depending on availability. Optional affordable housing available.
Interested individuals should contact Pastor Matt Poole at ph #206-281-2240 or email at email@example.com